Tag Archives: Gaslamp History

Business Was Booming!

Like most properties sold by Alonzo Horton in the late 1860s, the lot on the southwest corner of 5th and F changed hands early and often. the brick building now known as the Spencer-Ogden Building, one of the oldest buildings in the Gaslamp Quarter. It is also the oldest structure to be continually owned by the same family.

From Jessop’s, to Dime Store, to Hardware Emporium

San Diego Hardware Building 1910 840-50 5th Avenue Architectural Style – Modern T.W. Coates, Builder The property located on 840-50 5th has had many owners and many uses, but none, with one exception, has stayed very long. Originally, it was sold by Alonzo Horton to Captain Samuel Dunnells in 1868. Captain Dunnells was an early […]