OVERVIEW: Local volunteers offer a unique insider’s perspective to our Gaslamp Quarter visitors. By leading walking tours and house tours, volunteers create the opportunity for visitors to learn more about the historical and cultural relevance of the area and have a one on one encounter with a local expert.
- Lead a group of visitors on a local area walking tour and house tour
- Speak about specific points of interest.
- Research and develop (add to) historical and culturally accurate script.
- Add a local perspective to the guest experience.
- Provide a fun outdoor activity for visitors.
- Be part of the GQHF’s ongoing effort to open our local community to travelers, highlighting our unique history and culture.
- Strengthen our identity as the leading authority on Gaslamp Quarter history.
TRAINING AND SUPPORT:
- Orientation on Gaslamp Quarter history, the GQHF’s mission and expectations for tour guides.
- Attend at least two Walking Tours to observe process and techniques.
- Tour guide handbook will be provided.
- Reports to designated GQHF volunteer liaison.
- Interest in helping visitors better understand our community.
- Interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills.
- Interest in public speaking, history, and culture.
- Physically active.
- Minimum of three hours per month for six months.
- Tours can be scheduled morning, afternoon & evenings (seven days a week).
- Consult with designated GQHF volunteer liaison for scheduling.
For more information, please contact us at [email protected].