WATTS – ROBINSON BUILDING-1913
5th and E Street.
One of San Diego’s earliest skyscrapers, this building is an excellent example of the Chicago School of Architecture. The marble wainscoting, tile floors, and brass ornamentation are complemented by the original, ornate lobby ceiling. Replacing the old Watts Building at the same location, the structure was first known as the New Watts Building and later the Robinson Building. The building was long a favorite of jewelers; at one time, 70 occupied offices in the building were of gemologists.