5th and J Street..
The only Victorian hotel of this era still located on its original site, this three-story structure went from a hotel to a brothel (like so many buildings in the area), seguing into a home for retired “ladies,” a home for their children (Helping Hand Home) and eventually evolving into the Children’s Hospital San Diego, which occupied the building until 1920.

The structure’s brick-veneered facing, galvanized iron cornices, iron columns, and plate-glass fronts make it one of the most significant Victorian-style building in the district.